Wits is a remarkable university that is internationally distinguished for its excellent research, high academic standards and commitment to social justice.
Wits University has 5 faculties encompassing the Sciences, Commerce, Law, Management, Engineering, Health Sciences and Humanities with 33 schools offering over 3000 courses.
University of the Witwatersrand WITS Courses Offered
Commerce, Law and Management
CLM offers professional development in the business and legal areas of expertise as well as educational programmes that compare with the very best globally.
A wide range of qualifications are offered at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels by:
- School of Accountancy
- School of Economic and Business Sciences
- School of Law
- Wits Business School
- Wits School of Governance
- Wits Plus, Centre for Part-Time Studies
Engineering and the Built Environment
The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment (EBE) has the highest number of endowed professorships or chairs at the University of the Witwatersrand, and is home to seven schools:
- Architecture and Planning
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering
- Construction Economics and Management
- Electrical and Information Engineering
- Mechanical, Industrial & Aeronautical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities is one of the leading centres of study and research in the Arts, Social Sciences, Human and Community Development, Education and Literature, Language and Media in South Africa and Africa.
The Faculty offers an extensive range of programmes, some of which are vocationally oriented and lead to careers in specific professions, while others are theory and research oriented and impart critical analytical skills that open up to a range of careers in academia and research institutes, the public and private sectors and non-governmental organisations alike.
Wits University Admission Requirements
Wits tabulates the points score for all subjects on the following basis:
- That English must be taken either as Home Language or as 1st Additional Language. Foreign students presenting with English as 2nd Additional Language will have the option of a foreign conditional exemption and / or English proficiency tests.
- Maths is compulsory for all numerate programmes in Engineering and Built Environment, Commerce, Law and Management, and Science.
- Maths Literacy is accepted for some degrees (see Admission Requirements (NSC)).
- Wits does not distinguish between designated vs non-designated subjects when calculating the admission point score (APS)
- The APS calculation is based on the best seven subjects including Life Orientation
University of the Witwatersrand Entry Requirements
Which school-leaving qualification category do you fall into?
- The National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- Foreign School-Leaving Qualification
- The National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV)
How To Apply For Admission
To apply online, go to: www.wits.ac.za/applications/
- You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
- If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
WITS Application Closing Dates
30 June 2019 – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV
30 September 2019 – All other University programmes; Residence applications.
University of the Witwatersrand Application Fee
- Non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens
- Non-refundable application fee for foreign citizens of R700
- Payments to be made before closing dates.
- Use your T Number or Person Number as reference
How to pay
Deposit exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
- Standard Bank, Account name: Wits University – Application Fees. Current Account Number: 200 346 385, Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as a reference.
- EFT – Use your T Number or person/student number as the reference.
Does your degree programme have additional selection procedures? Some degrees have additional selection requirements such as portfolio and essay submissions, auditions or National Benchmark Tests. Please click on Additional Forms below to see if this applies to you.
WITS Contact Us
Tel: +27 (0)11 717 1000
Tel: +27 (0)11 717 1888