In 2011, the Health Science faculty (Medunsa) separated from the University of Limpopo’s main campus. This is when Sefako Makgatho began. It first opened it’s doors in 2015. It is located next to the Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital.
SMU Application Date:
Applications open on 11 March 2019 and the closing dates are as follows:
- Friday, 28 June 2019 : MBChB, B Radiography, B Dental Surgery, B Dental Therapy, B Pharmacy, BSc Physio
- Friday, 26 July 2019 : B Sc, BSc Diet, B Speech Language Pathology and Audiology, B Occ Therapy, B Oral Hygiene, B Nursing Sciences
SMU Application Fees:
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University SMU Application 2020
Thank you for the interest to study at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) in 2020.
For information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the undergraduate prospectus on www.smu.ac.za. You are allowed to apply for only two study choices.
- Application Form for 2020 Academic Year, please click here
- School Calendars, please click here
- SMU Undergraduate Prospectus 2019
You can apply either online or manually. However, online applications are currently limited to undergraduate qualifications for South African and International applicants who have written or are studying towards the National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examinations Board (IEB) certificate or studying at other South African Universities. Prospective students are encouraged to apply as early as possible and adhere to the closing dates to avoid disappointment.
Manual Application process, please ensure that you:
- Complete the form in full and answer all questions with black ink
- Write your names the same as they appear in your identity/passport document.
- Specify the names of the first choice and second choice degrees (if applicable)
- Complete the residence section (if applicable).
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.00 and send proof of payment. Use the reference number/student number generated by the system when making payment.
Please remember to attach the following documents:
- Certified copy of your ID/passport document (compulsory).
- Certified final Grade 11 results or Grade 12 June results or your National Senior/Matric/ IEB Certificate (if you have already completed Grade 12).
- Certified copies of your degree certificate(s) and academic record(s) (if you attended other universities).
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate/ divorce decree (if applicable).
- Proof of non-refundable application fee payment of R200.
Banking Details are as follows:Account name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Bank name: Standard Bank Account no.:071244395 Branch no.: 020909 Reference no.: Your ID/ Passport number/ Student number
- Your application will not be processed if you have not submitted all the required applicable documentation mentioned above.
- If you have not submitted the required documentation within a period of two months, unfortunately your application will not be considered.
- The University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admissions requirements does not guarantee admission.
- There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
- All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Applications for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and it would be issued in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University and to be submitted during registration.
- Application forms submitted after the closing dates will not be considered.
Consent to process personal InformationPlease note that by continuing with this application, you give consent to the University to process your personal information and that the University reserves the right to verify the information provided. On the other hand, the University is committed to protecting personal information provided in compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) No. 4 of 2013. If you need more information, call 012-521 4058/5886/4315/4319/4137/4204/4979The application form for admission is to be posted to:The Registrar Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University P. O. Box 60 MEDUNSA 0204
Courses Offered At SMU
The University offers a wide variety of under- and post-graduate qualifications that fit into the following faculties:
B Rad (Diagn)
BSc (Hons) (MS) Anatomical Pathology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Haematological Pathology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Medical Physics
BSc (Hons) (MS) Medical Biochemistry/Chemical Pathology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Medical Microbiology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Medical Virology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Pharmacology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Physiology
BSc (Hons) (MS) Psychology
M Med (Anaesthesiology)
M Med (Anatomical Pathology)
M Med (Cardio-Thoracic Surgery)
M Med (Chemical Pathology)
M Med (Dermatology)
M Med (Diagnostic Radiology & Imaging)
M Med (Family Medicine & Primary Health Care)
M Med (Forensic Pathology)
M Med (General Surgery)
M Med (Haematological Pathology)
M Med (Internal Medicine)
M Med (Medical Microbiology)
M Med (Neurology)
M Med (Neurosurgery)
M Med (Nuclear Medicine)
M Med (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
M Med (Occupational Medicine)
M Med (Ophthalmology)
M Med (Orthopaedics)
M Med (Otorhinolaryngology)
M Med (Paediatrics & Child Health)
M Med (Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery)
M Med (Psychiatry)
M Med (Public Health Medicine)
M Med (Urology)
M Med (Virology)
MSc (Clinical Psychology)
MSc (Med) Physiology
PhD in Physiology
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
Courses And Application Prospectus
View the SMU prospectus
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Admission Requirements
MMed Degree Programme
In order to be admitted to an M Med degree course a candidate must:
(i) be in possession of an MBChB or equivalent degree and be registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a medical practitioner.
(ii) be appointed to a Registrar’s post recognised by the HPCSA. This post must be occupied for the full duration of registration as required under these rules.
(iii) meet any other requirements that may be enunciated in the rules for the specific degree for which registration is requested.
(i) All MMed students as a prerequisite must have completed an approved research methodology course within two years of a four-year programme, and three years of a five year programme in accordance with rule SMM1.2 (iv).
MSc Degree Programme
(i) Applicants must be in possession of an Honours degree in Psychology or an equivalent or have received status from Senate according to the rules and regulations regarding such Admission. A student must have obtained an average mark of 65% and above to be considered.
MSc (Med)Degree Programme
(i) This course is open to students who are in possession of BSc (Med) (Hons) degree or who have received BSc (Med) (Hons) status. MSc (Med) studies may be continued in the respective fields in accordance with Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University General Rules for Postgraduate studies.
(ii) An MBChB graduate may be admitted directly to MSc (Med) studies provided that the duration of the study period for the MSc (Med) course is extended by one year.
(iii) Any candidate accepted for MSc (Med) Physiology who has not done a course in Biostatistics will be required to do Biostatistics (BIOZ 701) as part of the MSc (Med) degree.
PhD Degree Programme
Unless otherwise indicated, the General Rules for postgraduate students apply.
A candidate for the degree of PhD shall execute during not less than two academic years advanced research under the guidance of a supervisor appointed by Senate. The student shall in the first year, enrol for and pass the courses:
REME801 Research Methodology, and
PROD801 Protocol Development, unless he/she can provide proof of having passed these courses within the previous five years.
The research may take place in the University or in an institution deemed by the Senate to be part of the University for this purpose.
Admission Requirements – DSc (Med) Degree Programme
The degree of Doctor of Medical Science, DSc (Med) would normally follow on a PhD or MD and could be awarded to a candidate for high level and internationally recognised research based on peer reviewed research articles published in internationally recognised journals. Review articles would not be considered.
Contact Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Call Centre: (012) 521-5057 / 5059 / 5062
Monday to Friday: 07h30 – 16h00
Fax: (012) 521-4110