Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University SMU Prospectus
For information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the undergraduate prospectus on www.smu.ac.za. You are allowed to apply for only two study choices.
Other Important SMU Application Information
You can apply either online or manually. However, online applications are currently limited to undergraduate qualifications for South African and International applicants who have written or are studying towards the National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examinations Board (IEB) certificate or studying at other South African Universities. Prospective students are encouraged to apply as early as possible and adhere to the closing dates to avoid disappointment. Manual Application process, please ensure that you:
- Complete the form in full and answer all questions with black ink
- Write your names the same as they appear in your identity/passport document.
- Specify the names of the first choice and second choice degrees (if applicable)
- Complete the residence section (if applicable).
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.00 and send proof of payment. Use the reference number/student number generated by the system when making payment.
Please remember to attach the following documents:
- Certified copy of your ID/passport document (compulsory).
- Certified final Grade 11 results or Grade 12 June results or your National Senior/Matric/ IEB Certificate (if you have already completed Grade 12).
- Certified copies of your degree certificate(s) and academic record(s) (if you attended other universities).
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate/ divorce decree (if applicable).
- Proof of non-refundable application fee payment of R200.
Banking Details are as follows:Account name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University Bank name: Standard Bank Account no.: 071244395 Branch no.: 020909 Reference no.:Your ID/ Passport number/ Student number
- Your application will not be processed if you have not submitted all the required applicable documentation mentioned above.
- If you have not submitted the required documentation within a period of two months, unfortunately your application will not be considered.
- The University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admissions requirements does not guarantee admission.
- There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
- All non-South African citizens and non-permanent residents are required to obtain a study permit prior to registering as students. Applications for study permits should be submitted to the South African Home Affairs, Consulate or High Commissioner in your country of residence/origin, and it would be issued in favour of Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University and to be submitted during registration.
- Application forms submitted after the closing dates will not be considered.
Consent to process personal InformationPlease note that by continuing with this application, you give consent to the University to process your personal information and that the University reserves the right to verify the information provided. On the other hand, the University is committed to protecting personal information provided in compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) No. 4 of 2013. If you need more information, call 012-521 4058/5886/4315/4319/4137/4204/4979
The application form for admission is to be posted to :
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
P. O. Box 60 MEDUNSA 0204
- Application Form for 2020 Academic Year, please click here
- School Calendars, please click here
- SMU Undergraduate Prospectus 2019
- Admissions Selection Rules 2020