In 2011, the Health Science faculty (Medunsa) separated from the University of Limpopo’s main campus. This is when Sefako Makgatho began. It first opened it’s doors in 2015. It is located next to the Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital.
Apply To Study At Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences
To apply to Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences , you need the documents below :
1) A certified copy of the green bar coded ID
2) Proof of payment of any relevant application fees
3) Certified copy of grade 11 results and any latest grade 12 results
4.)Copy of Age exemption letter from Matric Board (if applicable – older than 23)
For a full list of tips to remember before you apply. Applicants must check individual further requirements for each course and each tertiary institution. Please also be aware of NBTs and check with your university if you need NBT results to apply.
FYI: South Africans learners wishing to apply online will need a working email address and an ID number. Foreign learners wishing to apply will need to have their passport number.
Other Important SMU Application Information
How To Apply
Application Closing Dates
Applications open on 11 March 2019 and the closing dates are as follows:
- Friday, 28 June 2019: MBChB, B Radiography, B Dental Surgery, B Dental Therapy, B Pharmacy, BSc Physio
- Friday, 26 July 2019: B Sc, BSc Diet, B Speech Language Pathology and Audiology, B Occ Therapy, B Oral Hygiene, B Nursing Sciences
You are allowed to apply for only two study choices. For information on admissions requirements and relevant school subjects, refer to the undergraduate prospectus by clicking here.
You can apply either online or manually. However, online applications are currently limited to undergraduate qualifications for South African and International applicants who have written or are studying towards the National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examinations Board (IEB) certificate or studying at other South African Universities.
To apply online, you need access to the internet and a valid email address. Please ensure that you:a. Complete the application accurately and fully. b. Write your names the same as they appear in your identity/passport document. c. Specify the names of the first choice and second choice degrees (if applicable) d. Complete the residence section (if applicable). e. Pay the non-refundable application fee of R200.00 and send proof of payment. Use your ID/ passport/ student number generated by the system when making payment.
Please remember to upload the following certified and individually scanned documents:a. Copy of your ID/passport document (compulsory). b. Copy of your final Grade 11 results or Grade 12 June results or your National Senior/Matric/ IEB Certificate (if you have already completed Grade 12). c. Copy of your degree certificate(s) and academic record(s) (if you attended other universities). d. Copy of your marriage certificate/divorce decree (if applicable). e. Proof of non-refundable application fee payment of R200.
Banking Details are as follows:Account name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences UniversityBank name: Standard BankAccount no.: 071244395Branch no.: 020909Reference no.: Your ID/ Passport number/ Student number
Please note:a. Your application will not be processed if you have not submitted all the required applicable documentation mentioned above. b. If you have not submitted the required documentation within a period of two months, unfortunately your application will not be considered. c. The University receives more applications than it can accommodate and meeting admissions requirements does not guarantee admission. d. There are limited places in University residence and admission to study at SMU does not guarantee a place in residence. The places are awarded on a first come first served basis and the University is not obliged to provide a place in the residence.
Consent to process personal Information
Please note that by continuing with this application, you give consent to the University to process your personal information and that the University reserves the right to verify the information provided. On the other hand, the University is committed to protecting personal information provided in compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) No. 4 of 2013.
If you need more information, call 012-521 4058/ 5886/ 4315/ 4319/ 4137/ 4204/ 4979.
SMU Courses Offered
The University offers a wide variety of under- and post-graduate qualifications that fit into the following faculties:
- Health Care Sciences
- Oral Health Sciences
- Science and Technology
SMU Student Residence / Accommodation
• On page 5 of the student application form, there is an option for residential application
• What documents do I attach on the SMU student application form?
• Certified copy of your identity document (ID) or birth certificate.
• Certified copy of final grade 11 results or final national senior certificate (nsc)/matric certificate (only for those who completed matric). NB: Do not submit your midyear grade 12 results
• Official academic record(s) from previous university(ies) attended.
• Certificate of conduct from all universities attended (if applicable).
• Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip). NB: No application forms will be considered without proof of payment.
Documents Needed For SMU Application
- Certified copy of your ID or Birth Certificate.
- Certified copy of final grade 11 results or final National Senior Certificate (NSC) / Matric Certificate (only those who completed matric). NB: Do not submit your midyear grade 12 results.
- Official academic record(s) from previous university (ies) attended, including SMU (if applicable).
- Certificate of conduct from all universities attended (if applicable).
- Proof of application fee payment (copy of deposit slip). NB: No application forms will be considered without proof of payment.
Q : How much is the SMU student application fee?
The application fee is R200 only and is non-refundable.
Q : Where and how do I deposit SMU student application fee?
Bank: Standard Bank
Account Number: 071 244 395
Account Name: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Branch Number: 020 909
Use your ID number as a Reference
NB: No cash should accompany the application form.
Q : Where do I post my SMU student application form?
Post to: The Registrar
Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU)
P.O. Box 60
Or hand deliver to : Student Administration and Registration office
Clinical Pathology Building (Basement) at SMU
Office Hours : Monday – Friday: 7h30 – 17h30 (Monday – Friday)
Enquiries call: (012) 521 4979 / 4058 / 5886 / 4319 / 4137 / 4204
Q : How do I know if my SMU student application form has been received?
You will receive an SMS notification notifying you that your application has been received.
Q : How will I know about the status of my SMU student application?
All information regarding the status of your application will be communicated to you via SMS.