Open Window Institute for Arts and Digital Sciences
Open Window Institute (OWI) is an established private higher education institution known for setting the benchmark within the field of visual arts and digital sciences. Founded in 1994 with the focus on providing a unique tertiary platform where practice-led tuition links traditional fine arts with the applied arts. Emphasis placed on being market leaders has always inspired ongoing innovation to curricula, and this is a special consideration of rapidly evolving creative arts industries.
This has ensured that OWI’s product offering is inclusive of disciplines like visual communication, film arts, animation, game design and interaction design. Twenty years of creative excellence in the visual arts have resulted from maintaining high academic standards, ensuring that curricula remain progressive and by developing/fostering close professional contact with local advertising, film production and branding related industries.
The Open Window Institute offers a three-year degree in Visual Communication Design and a three-year degree in Film Arts. Open Window creates emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach with the aim to produce well-rounded graduates. To this end, the student has four subjects on first year level that leads up to the major subjects in second and third year. In the second year, the student can choose to specialise by taking a single major, or choose to double major.
The degree may lead to postgraduate studies in Visual Communication or Film Arts. The Open Window honours degree is offered at an NQF Level 8 and consists of 120 credits. The duration of this programme is one year of full-time study. The honours degree programme is tailored to allow the student to investigate a specific area of his or her field in an independent manner.
This course emphasises a proficiency in scholarly practices and a mastery of the relevant creative praxis. Students explore the relevant fields of expertise such as film, animation, interactive design, graphic design, illustration or photography. Postgraduate scholarly abilities, theoretical knowledge and research skills culminate in a mini-dissertation.
Students can Level Up their skills with a wide variety of Short Courses presented by expert lecturers for vocational improvement and personal enrichment.
OWI offers a wide variety of Short Courses ranging from Adobe software training, photography, drawing, filmmaking,
web development and social media to acting, screenwriting and project management.
Short Courses vary in duration from 2 to 8 weeks.
ADMISSIONS & REGISTRATIONS
Bachelor of Arts in Visual Communication Design
Bachelor of Film Arts
Bachelor of Interaction Design
- APS score of 22
- An English mark of 50%
- International applications
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Please see document below to assist with the calculation of your APS score or contact an Open Window representative.
* If entry requirements are not met for the degree enrollment please contact email@example.com to assist.
Honours Degree Requirements
Bachelor of Arts Honours in Visual Communication
- Relevant undergraduate qualification
- Need to attend a selection interview
- Level 3 theory subject with an average of 65%
- Submit an Honours Proposal
- International applications please contact
Application fee: R750.00(Non-refundable)
Please submit the following:
- Latest Grade 12 results
- ID Document
Once you have applied you will receive the following:
- An opportunity to arrange an appointment for a career counselling session.
- An information session to ensure a smooth start to your new studies
Provisional registration fee: R2000.00(Non-refundable)
Reserve your place
An assigned OWI Buddy will:
- Help you finalise your subject selection with the assistance of an CRM team member
- Take you on a Campus Tour
- Arrange a session for you with a lecturer in your field of interest* If the minimum entrance requirements are not met for degree enrolment contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration fee:3 Year study plan: R11 0004 – 5 Year study plan: R5 500
- Payment of registration fee or full settlement
- Please take note of the discount options available for full settlements, contact email@example.com for more information
- Complete and upload the student code of conduct and registration agreement
National Application / Registration Weekends
Book a session by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org
7 September – National Open Day 28 September
*Fees subject to change at the discretion of Open Window
- Students register per academic year.
- A registration fee is payable on registration and is deducted from the overall class fees for the year.
- OW has credit card facilities on campus.
- The costs for the year are dependent on the study plan selected.
Open Window Institute for Arts and Digital Sciences Contact
John Vorster Drive Ext. East, Southdowns, Irene
PO Box 68371, Highveld, 0169
T 012 648 9200
F 012 665 0253
email@example.comT 012 648 9239
firstname.lastname@example.orgT 012 648 9220
Head of Finance
T 012 648 9200