The North-West University (NWU) is one of South Africa’s largest universities with a recorded number of 64 081 students in 2014. It was established on 1 January 2004 and has 3 campuses situated in Potchefstroom, Mafikeng and Vanderbijlpark.
The historically black university was the former University of North-West, whose students were mostly black people from rural communities. The historically white university was the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education, whose students were mostly white Afrikaans people from Christian backgrounds. A third party was the Sebokeng Campus of another mainly black university, Vista, whose staff and students were incorporated.
Their coming together to form the North-West University (NWU) was a strong symbolic act of reconciliation and nation building – and a highly effective one. The transition to the unified NWU has been hailed as one of the most successful and stable higher education mergers in South Africa. Each year since the merger, the NWU has produced a healthy financial surplus, improved student pass rates, increased research output and risen in the corporate governance rankings for South African universities.
Courses Offered At NWU
The university offers a wide variety of under- and post-graduate qualifications that fit into the following faculties:
- Health Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Go to the online application platform
How to Apply
Step 1: Getting a student number (start at step 2 if you already have one)
- Go to the online application platform
- Click on New application
- Click on Create new student number and complete all the fields
Please note that the allocation of a student number does not mean that you have completed the application process. Please go through all the steps below to ensure that your application is complete and that it reaches us. Incomplete applications will not be processed by the University.
Step 2: Log in
When you receive a student number, use that together with the PIN number you created to log in.
Step 3: What do you want to study?
Complete all the fields. Use the yearbooks to obtain more information about the qualifications, modes of delivery and curricula.
Step 4: Upload supporting documents
In order to consider your application, please upload the following supporting documents:
- Available grade 12 marks (or gr 11 if the gr 12 marks are not available yet), or a copy of your matric certificate – if you have already passed matric.
- Copy of your ID
- Copy of your academic record (if applicable).
- Additional documents for international prospective students:
- A copy of relevant results
- A copy of your passport
Step 5: Submit application
Please make sure that you press the Submit application button when you have finished ensuring that we receive your application.
The North-West University (NWU) is widely regarded as one of the top tertiary institutions in the country. The unique culture of the NWU can be attributed to:
- 1 University, 3 campuses, 8 faculties
- Internationally recognised qualifications
- A career-orientated degree that equips you to be innovative
- A multilingual language policy aimed at inclusivity
- A unique student experience with modern facilities
- Sports and cultural achievements
Become a part of #MyNWU by completing your online application right now.
Click on the following link and follow our easy step-by-step instructions: http://www.nwu.ac.za/af/aanlyn-aansoeke
The NWU is offering you an unrivalled experience that will not only direct your future, but leave you with precious memories that will last you a lifetime.
Prospective applicants (only those who have already submitted their applications) can amend/change their personal details, or request a change of qualification or campus by submitting a request to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your student number and contact details in the e-mail.
- Students who have successfully applied for their studies may register before 31 March of every year.
- Students are reminded to always mention their student number/university number in all correspondence with the University.
First time registration for master’s degrees and doctorates
- The closing date for registration is 31 March, with the exclusion of selection courses where the relevant faculty determines registration dates.
- Web registration will be available from 15 January 2018.
- Should you not want to register online, the registration form must be requested from your faculty adviser or from Higher Degree Administration: Enquiries
- The completed and signed registration form, accompanied by proof of payment (deposit slip or internet printout, or an official letter from a bursar and/or establishment), must be submitted to the relevant faculty adviser.
- The registration process is completed only when you receive a Proof of Registration.
(+27 18) 299-1111 Tel:
0860 169698 (0860 1mynwu)/2222