Guidelines and information for applicants
1. Closing date for applications
In order to ensure adequate time for processing, inspections and planning by Nelson Mandela University OCHO and yourself, applications for accreditation for 2020 will open from 03 June to 31 August 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
Applicants are expected to submit all supporting documents with the application form.
2. Accreditation fees
Accreditation application fees vary according to the number of beds the applicant can provide. An accreditation application fee for Bigger Property (i.e. properties providing more than 19 beds) is charged at R600, and for Smaller Property (i.e. properties providing less than 20 beds) is charged at R350. Service Providers must apply annually.
There is an annual accreditation levy of 4% charged to service providers based on a number of Nelson Mandela University students in the accommodation. This levy is used to implement Living and Learning Programmes.
Transport levy is negotiated annually and all providers are advised to the fee of r 200 per month during the rental negotiations. All residences tht are more than 3km away from the nearest NMU campu will be liable to offer either their own transport oor belong to the university shuttle scheme (see clause 9.9 of the accreditation policy).
Should you be accreditted, please download the attached document (make atleast 5 copies), and have it completed by your bank.
3. Accreditation Process
The accreditation process may take up to 90 days considering the following process:
- Service Provider applies for accreditation
- Service Provider notified of the date and time of inspection
- Accreditation Team visits the property for inspection
- Accreditation Team makes recommendations to the Evaluation Committee
- Evaluation Committee submits recommendation to the office of the DEAN
- The DEAN gives final decision
- Service Provider is notified of application outcome by email.
4. Placement information
Nelson Mandela University OCHO refers National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), Bursary and Cash paying students to service providers accredited by Nelson Mandela University OCHO only.
Placement and Payment processes will be communicated to successful applicants.
5. Property Grading
Properties are graded according to the standard of the property and services offered. Only Small Properties are graded from Grade A, B and C.
6. Preferred areas
Nelson Mandela University OCHO may prefer properties that are located within the below mentioned areas of student hubs and Nelson Mandela University shuttle route. Preferred areas are:
- Forest Hill
- Humewood Extension
- Walmer (between Union Street and Heugh Road and up to 6th Avenue)
- Central (Govan Mbeki to Rink Street)
- North End 1 (Govan Mbeki to Kent Road)
- North End 2 (Mount Road to Milner Avenue)
- Sydenham Road and Commercial Road to Ambrose Street
Please ensure that the following documents are saved as pdf,docx, or image:
- Proof of payment
- Proof of ownership
- Floor plans
- Certificate of compliance
- Special consent (if more than 4 and less than 20)
- Certificate of occupancy (applicable for big properties only)
- Zoning proof (applicable for big properties only)
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- Fidelity fund certificate
- Lift certificate (if applicable)