How to apply for accommodation:
The process when applying for on-campus residence:
- Applicants must first be accepted by the faculty before they can be considered for on-campus residences.
- The closing date for applying to the university is the end of September each year.
- Receipt of your application for on-campus residence will be acknowledged but this does not guarantee a space in the residence.
- All first year students are expected to share rooms.
- Applicants are grouped and selected within the same faculty so that common academic interests are shared and opportunities to learn from each other are created.
- Nelson Mandela University accepts no responsibility for a student’s personal property. Please ensure that you are insured against such eventualities.
- Priority will be given to applicants with high Admission Point Scores (APS). In the case of a number of applicants having the same APS, the Quintile 1, 2 & 3 schools (no-fee schools) you come from will determine the applicant’s selection.
- Priority will be given to applicants living outside the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) for Port Elizabeth campuses and outside the George Municipality for George Campus.
- Final acceptance into on-campus residence, for first years will depend on your final examination results.
- Students are advised to come to residence only if they have received a sms clearly specifying the date of arrival.
- Applicants who are not accepted due to on-campus residences being full, will be placed in our accredited off-campus residences.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum admission requirements for a selected programme but do meet the criteria for testing and are referred to CAAR for assessment/testing, must take serious note of the following:
- The applicant must make an early appointment to write the CAAR tests by contacting the CAAR office before the end of September to be considered for on-campus residences.
- Applicants who write the test, receive their CAAR results and are accepted into the programme after the above-mentioned closing date, may be referred to our accredited off-campus residences
- Applicants are advised not to make any payments to the residences until advised to do so via a communique from the Residence Admission and Placement Office.