Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics select components, assemble, install, test, fault-find, service and repair industrial, commercial and domestic refrigeration and air conditioning systems in homes, shops, factories, office buildings, hospitals, supermarkets, and cold stores.
Where To Study Air Conditioning And Refrigeration In South Africa?
The following schools train individuals to become air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics;
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Academy
Cranes Air Conditioning (AC) And Refrigeration Training
Diploma Air Conditioning And Refrigeration At Intec College
INNOTECH Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Academy (ACRA)
Refrigeration, Air-Conditioning And Ventilation Training – IETI
JHB SAIRAC Courses
The Fridge School South Africa
OTTC – Expert In Refrigeration, air-con, and ammonia
Requirements For a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning School?
- Able to work with hand and power tools
- Enjoy and have an aptitude for technical work
- Able to work patiently, systematically and thoroughly
- Normal color vision
- Able to work as part of a team
- Good communication skills
Education & Training for a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
To become a refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic you usually have to complete an apprenticeship or traineeship. Entry requirements may vary.
Duties & Tasks of a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics:
- follow plans and specifications to install, commission, service and maintain equipment
- drill holes, install mounting brackets and cut, bend and join piping
- install parts such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, air filters, switches, controls, and gauges
- install and connect piping to refrigeration systems
- check that parts are installed, lined up and fit properly
- test systems for leaks and then fill them with refrigerant according to relevant standards and regulations
- test refrigeration and air handling units and make adjustments to ensure they work correctly
- use computers to monitor systems and remotely adjust the operation of all equipment in a given building.
Employment Opportunities for a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics are employed mainly by installation, service maintenance and manufacturing firms that service shops, hotels, factories, offices, and hospitals. Some refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics work for firms that specialize in cold storage, food treatment plants, and refrigeration on ships. With experience, and sometimes further training, promotion is possible to supervisory, sales, technician, associate, technologist or engineer positions. Some refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics are self-employed. Opportunities for refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics are affected by the level of building and refurbishment activity, especially in the commercial and industrial sectors.