Fish Hoek High School Application 2020
2020 Enrolment at Fish Hoek High School
Fully completed applications, together with the additional documentation must be HAND DELIVERED between 8:30 and 15:30, Mondays to Fridays as they are checked and then signed in (no applications will be considered if faxed or emailed). Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted. If you cannot meet the requirements as per the Checklist, please contact the secretaries WELL BEFORE THE DUE DATE. For ease of checking and signing in your application, please PRINT CLEARLY and FILL IN ALLAREAS.
Please refer to the Checklist and ensure that the application forms and other necessary documents are correctly completed, signed, dated and returned by the due date. NB: Fish Hoek High School is declared a FEE PAYING SCHOOL in terms of the relevant legislation. By enrolling your child at our school, you are accepting an obligation to pay the school fees.
Download Application forms
Grade 8 Enrolment: Due date is Friday, 15 March 2019
You will be contacted if your child is required to come in for an interview. Due to the volumes received, we are not in a position to interview all applicants and will therefore conduct random interviews only. Families will be advised via email/post and the WCED online website (https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/) by 7 June 2019 as to the outcome of their application. NB: As we cannot guarantee placement due to the demand for spaces, we urge families to apply at more than one school, ensuring you meet their deadline dates.
The School will consider late applications received after the relevant closing date only if all applications received by the relevant closing date have been dealt with and there are still places available at the School. Late applications will be processed by the end of the 3rd term.
Grades 9, 10 and 11 Enrolment: Due date is Friday, 13 September 2019
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please include a motivation letter, explaining reasons for changing schools. If you are enrolling your child for Grades 10 and 11, a SUBJECT CHOICE form is included in your application. Please be aware that the subject choice for your child is provisional. Strict selection will be enforced in most subjects and this selection will be based on merit. Your child’s academic performance is therefore crucial. Make sure that only 1 SUBJECT per group is chosen. It would be to your child’s advantage to make sure that there are alternative subjects in case a subject cannot be allocated. You will be contacted if your child is required to come in for an interview and/or should there be any problems with the choice of subjects. NB: We may only be able to confirm acceptance towards the end of the fourth term due to pressure on places. Therefore, please DO NOTsign out your child from their current school until their acceptance at our school has been confirmed.
WCED requires all parents to apply online for 2020 admissions. This will be in addition to your Fish Hoek High School Application which you have downloaded for completion and submission. WCED online link will be available from 15 February 2019 (https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/).
WCED requires the following documents to be scanned for upload when submitting the online application:
- Birth Certificate of Pupil
- A Study Permit issued by The Department of Home Affairs in the case of foreign pupils (or proof of application to The Department of Home Affairs)
- Immunisation Card of the Pupil
- A transfer card/letter of the pupil if he/she attended another school
- The last official school report card/results of the Pupil
- Proof of residence (Rates Account or an Affidavit confirming residence)
SPECIAL NOTE TO WCED ONLINE APPLICATION:
The Education Department provided further clarity at our briefing session on Wednesday 6 February 2019. It has now been clarified that you need to submit only the hard copies of the support documentation to the school.
THEREFORE, over and above the FULL Fish Hoek High School application pack, you only need to submit to us your emailed confirmation of your WCED online application.
The School Governing Body intends, based, inter alia, on the post provisioning of the Western Cape Education Department, total number of teachers, classrooms and other facilities in the school, and the choice of subjects offered (and subject to the provisions of the SA Schools Act (84 of 1996) and the Western Cape Provincial Schools Act (12 of 1997), WCED Circular 40 of 2004) to admit up to 217 pupils in Grade 8 (i.e. 7 classes of 31 pupils).
- No pupil will be admitted without:
a. The completion of the application forms and the submission of all the required documents including those identified in the admission policy for ordinary public schools issued in terms of the National Education Policy Act, 27 of 1996
b. His/her parent/guardian having read and acknowledged the Code of Conduct and Drug and Alcohol Policy of the School.
c. Signing the Commitment Contract.
- The language of instruction at the School is English. It is in the best interests of the learner that they be able to cope with an English medium environment. Pupils must have passed English as Home language or have a proven equivalent facility in English.
- The School offers Afrikaans as the First Additional Language. Pupils must have taken the language at least as a First Additional Language.
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to pupils residing south of Atlantic Road, Muizenberg.
- Academic achievement as reflected in recent school reports. Pupils must have proven and appropriate academic ability (e.g. must have passed Grade 7 for admission to Grade 8 with English Home Language and Afrikaans First Additional Language).
- Specialized skills or talents which the School has the potential to develop or facilitate, as indicated in the application.
- A good disciplinary record as reflected in a recommendation from the applicant’s present school.
- The presence of siblings at the School will also be taken into account.
- Their age is within two years of the average of the grade.
- The complete application is received by the closing date.
Applications to include:
- Completed forms and requested documents such as certified copies of unabridged birth certificate or identity documents or passports and proof of residence (e.g. rates account or lease agreement). Please note, if not the owner of the property at which one resides, proof of lease is required in the name of the family applying to the School. If the lease terminates before the start of the year in question, any acceptance would be provisional until the extended lease is submitted. No pupil will be allowed to attend the School until such time as the extended lease is tabled. Certain additional documentation is required from non- SA citizens.
- A certified copy of the most recent report.
- A recommendation from the present school.
Parents/guardians are also invited to provide a short motivation in support of their application.
Closure of application dates
Applications for 2020 open on 6 February 2019 and close on 15 March 2019 for Grade 8 applications and on 13 September for 2019 Grades 9 to 11. FHHS undertakes to ensure that all possible feeder schools receive timeous notification in this regard, and will furthermore advertise closing dates in the community media.