Durban University of Technology Undergraduate Application Entry Requirements
South African Grade 12, or equivalent. A good command of English is essential as lectures and text books are in English. A prior involvement in video, photography, graphic design or drama would be an advantage as would Computer literacy. The limited places are then offered after qualifications have been reviewed and applicants have been interviewed.
Please note: there are many more applicants who apply for the course than can be offered places. Meeting minimum requirements in no ways guarantees placement on the course
- You must have:
- Made an application through the CAO and paid the application fee
- Been accepted into the academic programme you have applied for
- Met the DUT’s minimum admission requirements (view requirements)
- Filled in the Indemnity Form Download – if you are under age (younger than 18 years of age) this form must be filled in and signed by your parent/guardian.
- Filled in the Surety Form Download – which must be completed by the individual responsible for the payment of all your fees, in compliance with the National Credit Act. The signature of the surety must be verified and stamped by a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Documents to be produced:
- Original Senior Certificate or Statement of Results
- Original I.D. document
- If you are coming from another university – you must produce an original academic record / diploma / degree and certificate of conduct. If you require exemption of credits you must obtain an Application for Exemption form from the relevant Faculty Office
- Indemnity and Surety Form Download Indemnity Form / Download Suretyship Form
- Study Permit (international students)
- Passport (international students)
- SAQA Evaluation (where relevant)
- Finance Matters
- Surety Form
The Surety Form must be signed by the parent / guardian in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths. If you do not have a Commissioner of Oaths certification of the surety signature, you must be accompanied by the surety / parent / guardian (and their identity document) to the registration venue where the surety section must be signed in the presence of our Commissioner of Oaths.
The following categories of students will be exempt from surety compliance but will still need to complete the surety form (except for the surety signature) and proceed to Finance Admin checking stage for surety clearance :
- Sponsored Students: Students must produce their sponsor letter to Finance for approval/verification.
- Employed Students: Students must produce Proof of Employment, eg. recent payslip, staff card, letter from employer etc. to Finance Admin Checking.
- Staff and/or Staff Dependants: Staff / staff dependants are to produce the completed and approved staff remission form to Finance, together with the surety form.
- NSFAS/Bursary Students: Those students who qualify for 100% NSFAS loans / bursaries will produce the relevant letter from Financial Aid to Finance. Those students who do not qualify for 100% NSFAS loans / bursaries, will have to complete the surety form and submit to Finance, together with a letter from Financial Aid which indicates that the student does not qualify for 100% NSFAS loan / bursary.
- Edu-loan: Students who qualify for Edu-loan are to produce their Edu-loan approval slips to Finance.
- Surety Form